Effect Of Weather And Climate On Crop Environment

Weather and climate are the most pervasive factors of crop environment . We will discuss it's effect on crop development and environment.

Effect Of Weather And Climate On Crop Environment
Effect Of Weather And Climate On Crop Environment

(1) Knowledge of agrometeorology is useful in several aspects of practical agriculture as indicated below:

(2) It has practical utility in timing of agriculture operations so as to make the best use of favorable weather conditions and make adjustments for adverse weather.

(3) the dangers of crop production due to the pest and disease incidence , occurrence of prolonged drought , soil erosion, frost and weather hazards can be minimized.

(4) Weather support also provides guidelines for long range or seasonal planning of crops and cultivars most suited to anticipated climatic conditions.

(5) Agrometeorological information can be used in land planning, risk analysis of climatic hazards, production and harvest forecasts and linking similar crop environments for crop adaptability and productivity.


Weather elements

Weather is a phrase of climate representing atmospheric condition at a given place and at a fiven instant of time as against climate, representing atmospheric condition for longer period of time over a large area. Components of weather and climate or simply weather elements include:

  • Temperature
  • Solar radiation
  • Humidity
  • Cloud
  • Pressure
  • Wind
  • Precipitation



The influence of weather and climate on crop growth and development and final yield is complicated by complexity of interactions with crops and the environment during the crop season. The influence of weather and climate on crop productivity can be summarized as indicated below:

Weather parameters with favorable influence

(1) Weather and climate are important factors to determining the success or failure of agriculture.

(2) All the agriculture operations from sowing to harvest of crops depend on the mercy of weather.

(3) Climate determines suitability of a crop to a particular region while weather plays a major role in the productivity of a crop in the region.

(4) The excess or shortage of elements of weather and climate exerts a negative influence on crop growth, development and final yield.

(5) The effect of weather and climate is complex as elements of climate operate simultaneously in nature.

(6) Due to complexity of environment in  which a crop is grown, it is difficult to assign an optimum value of climatic element for maximum crop productivity.

Weather parameters with negative influence 


  • Excessively and untimely rains.
  • Scanty rains with prolonged dry spells.
  • Heat and cold waves.
  • Dust-storms, thunderstorms and hailstorms.
  • High winds.
  • Floods.


Weather variables having both positive and negative effects on crop productivity.

  • Solar radiation..
  • Temperature.
  • Humidity.
  • Wind.
  • Precipitation.


Factors controlling weather and climate.

Geographical factors influencing weather and climate are referred to as climate controls. They are:

  • Latitude.
  • Altitude.
  • Land and water bodies.
  • Mountains.
  • Topography.


The distance from the equator , either from south or north, largely creates variations in climate. Based on latitude, the climate has been classified as tropical, subtropical, temperate and polar climates. The height from mean sea level adds to variation in climate. Temperature and pressure decreases with increasing height from mean sea level. Based on altitude , The climate is described  as mountainous and valley climates. Nearness to large bodies of water also causes variation in climate. The climates are refereed to as continental and maritime.

Read this also:

4 Type of agriculture.
Agronomy.
Best Management practices in cultivation.
Classification of crop plants.
Importance of soil and tillage in crop.

These are the effects and impact of weather and climate on crop environment and deveopment.



Next Post Previous Post
3 Comments
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous 9 July 2020 at 01:53

    We are urgently in need of Kidney donors with the sum of $500,000.00,
    Email: customercareunitplc@gmail.com

  • Rice Store
    Rice Store 15 April 2021 at 03:58

    hey! You blog is really helpful and provide a lot of good and interesting information. But do your know the mordren farmiing tips and trick. Visit my pictures of aquaponics systems for further detail. thanks

  • Mary
    Mary 21 March 2022 at 18:42

    Hello everyone out there, I'm here to give my testimony about a herbalist doctor who helped me. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, I went to many hospitals to heal myself but there was no solution, so I was thinking how I can get a solution so that my body can be well. One day I was in the river thinking about where I can go to get a solution. so a lady walked towards me telling me why I'm so sad and I open everything by telling her my problem, she told me she could help me, she introduced me to a doctor who uses herbal medicines to cure the SIMPLEX HERPES VIRUS and gave me your email, so I sent you an email. He told me everything I had to do and also gave me instructions to take, which I followed correctly. Before I knew what was happening after two weeks, the SIMPLEX HERPES VIRUS that was in my body disappeared. therefore, if you also have a broken heart and need help, you can also send an email to {dr.joshuaherbalhome6@gmail.com} or whatsapp him on +234704851…

Add Comment
comment url